The clockmaker was John Cavit (shown on the photograph of the clock face) He lived from 1770-1837. The clock was at some stage incorporated into Bedford Almshouses which were built in 1801/3
When the Almshouses were demolished in 1879 to make way for the High School and the clock found its way to The Clockhouse.
Colin Mackness (Head Gardener) 2012
Bedfordshire Clock and Watchmakers 1352-1889 by Chris Pickford (Published in 1991 by the Bedfordshire Historical Record Society, Vol 70) includes information on the Cavit family.